Title: Positive Parenting Tips
Category: Positive Parenting
1. Be a good model. Your kids will mirror your example.
2. Express open love daily to your kids and spouse. Say, "I love you " often.
3. Practice strict, loving and consistent discipline ("time outs", etc.).
4. Total commitment to parenting, "Family that prays together and plays together, stays together"; e.g., you must commit time to your kids.
5. Share regular meals together (Listen to and share with your kids).
6. Control TV. (Average 12 year old has seen greater than 4,000 murders on TV and spent as many hours as in school "glued" to the tube).
7. Convey positive realistic expectations to your kids (they'll fulfill them).
8. Teach/model a value system where major priorities include: honesty, integrity, loyalty, commitment, reverence, humility, creativity, self-reliance, self-respect, gentleness, a positive mental attitude, happiness and love.
9. Give your kids the greatest gift possible, a "healthy self image", with regular loving praise. Strive for a 10:1 Praise:Criticism ratio.
10. Parents are their children's first and most important teachers. Foster reading. Read to and with them. Constantly teach--especially at opportune times (for example: while traveling).
11. Encourage extra curricular involvements with your kids (share your hobbies and interests.) This helps round them out for success in later life.
12. Encourage your child to be independent, creative and self-reliant. Give your child "roots and wings".
13. Encourage goal setting and hard work. Give them a chore or responsibility and reward their initiative and persistence. Try hard not to spoil them with material things.
14. Encourage your kids "unique talents" with opportunities, patience and praise, not undue pressure.
15. Teach your kids how to fail gracefully and that failures are stepping stones to success. (Example: Thomas Edison's 1,000 tries for a light bulb filament.)
16. Teach them social skills and be interested in their friends. Make your home and yard a welcome place.
17. Teach them your spiritual values and model them. Proverbs 22:8 "Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it."
18. Strive for a positive, happy start to your children's day with a good breakfast and encouraging hugs and kisses as they go to school.
19. Strive for a calm, loving sharing fifteen minutes with your kids just before sleep. They'll repeat those 15 minutes ten times in their dreams. Kiss them and whisper something special in their ears after they're asleep and watch them smile.
20. Allow your kids to be children while they're young (not type "A" toddlers).
21. Teach your child to accept and love himself just as God made him, and to find his own dream/mission in life.
22. Teach your kids to enjoy living daily and not get overly caught up with always striving and never "smelling the roses".
23. Teach your kids the secret to being successful in anything: Going the extra mile, doing a little bit more than is required.
24. Teach your kids the secret to peace and happiness: to lose themselves in loving and serving others. ( First and Second Commandments)
1. The Bible.
2. Books by James Dobson, (particularly Dare to Discipline), The Strong Willed Child.
3. Books by Dr. Jonas Salk and Dr. Benjamin Spock.
4. Family Life Magazine.
5. Parent's Magazine: P.O. Box 3055 , Harlan Ia 51593-2119
6. Dad's Only Magazine, PO box 340, Julian, Ca. 92036
7. The Double Win, Dennis Waitley.
8. Raising Positive Kids in a Negative World, Zig Zigler.
9. Hide and Seek, Parenting Isn't For Cowards, James Dobson.
10.How to Parent, Fitzhugh Dodson.
11. The Magic of Thinking Big, David Schwartz.
12. Psycho Cybernetics, Dr. Maxwell Maltze.
13. Born to Win, James and Jonge Ward.
14. How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen so Kids Will Talk, Adele Faber and Elaine Maglish.
15. Raising a Confident Child, Oppenheim, Boeghold, and Brenner.
16. Building Self-Esteem in Children, Berne and Savory.
17. How to Raise a Brighter Child, Joan Bech.
18. Traits of a Healthy Family, Delores Curran.
19. Your Child's Self-Esteem, Dorothy Corkille Briggs.
20. 2005 A Child's Odyssey, Dr. Dennis Waitley, (a cassette pack, to order 1-800-323-5552.
21. 10 Steps to Building Your Child's Self-Esteem and Your Own, Randall D. Smith, (2 tapes) 1-800-943-1280.
22. Positive Parenting, Alvin N. Eden, M.D.
23. How to be a Good Dad, Stephen A. Bly.
24. A. You're Nature's Greatest Miracle, (ages 5-9)
B. You've Got What it Takes, (ages 10-13)
C. Unlocking Your Potential, (ages 14 and up). Motivation tapes by Nightengale Connant, 1-800-525-9000
25. Growing Together: Mother and Child, Lenore Buth.
26. For Parents ( A news letter to increase the joys of effective parenting) 7052 West Lane, Eden, N.Y. 14057
27. You and Your Child's Self-Esteem, James Harris, PHD
28. How to Really Love Your Child, Dr. Ross Campbell.
29. How to Really Love Your Teenager, Dr. Ross Campbell.
30. Christian Parenting Magazine (to subscribe call (503) 549-8261)
31. Hidden Keys to Successful Parenting, ( 4 tapes from the Gary Smalley Seminar, 1-800-232-3232.
32. Working Mother Magazine, 230 Park Ave., Ny, Ny. 10169.
33. Parenthood Without Hassels, Making Children Mind Without Losing Yours, Dr. Kevin Leman
34. How to Keep Your Kids on Your Team, Charles Stanley.
35. The Well Adjusted Child, Dr. Phil E. Quinn.
36. Healthy Kids Magazines, (Birth to 3) and(4-10), available through your pediatrician's office.
37. Dr. Dobson Answers Your Questions About Raising Children, James Dobson
38. Kids Who Succeed, Dr. Beverly Neuer Feldman.
39. How To Raise Happy , Healthy, Self confident Children, Betty Youngs, PHD and Brian Tracy 6 tapes 1-800-542-4252).
40. The Neuropsychology of Successful Parenting, a tape series with 8 tapes by Syber Vision (800) 678-0887.
41. Raising A Child Conservatively In a Sexually Permissive World, Sol Gordon, PHD & Judith Gordon, MSW.
42. What Kids Most Need In A Dad, Tim Hansle.
43. Experts Advise Parents, A Guide To Raising Loving Responsible Children, Edited by Eileen Schiff.
44. How To Talk So Your Teenager Will Listen, Paul W. Swets.
45. How To Raise A Child You Can Live With, Clifford Stunden.
46. Between Parent and Teenager, Dr. Haim Ginott.
47. A Good Enough Parent, Bruno Betthelhem.
48. The New Read Aloud Handbook, Jim Trelease.
49. Parenting, Paul F. Wilczak, Phd.
50. Entertaining Your Child, Lucille Hein.
51. Ask Dr. Cory, Cory SerVaas, M.D.
52. How To Maximize Your Child's Potential, Nancy Gooch & David Sexton, Phd.
53. The Christian Family, Larry Christenson.
54. Building Family/An Act of Faith, Paul Connolly.
55. Parent's Book For Your Baby's First Year, Maja Burnath.
56. The First Three Years Of Life, Burton L. White.
57. The Father Of The Family, A Christian Perspective, Clayton C. Bearbeau.
58. Teaching Children Joy, Linda & Richard Eyre.
59. 100 Ways To Boost Your Child's Self-Esteem,Dr. Alvin Price, Phd. & J. Parry.
60. God, Religion, And Family Life, When God Is At Home With Your Family, edited by David M. Thomas,
61. Inspiring Parenthood, Janice Pressor Orion, Phd.
62. The Key To Your Child's Heart, Gary Smalley.
63. The Effective Parent, Don Dinkmayer.
64. Kids Who Have Too Much, Dr. Rolph Minear & William Proctor.
65 Back To Family, Dr. Ray Guarendi.
66. What Every Family Needs, Carl Brecheen & Paul Faulkner.
67. The Challenge Of Fatherhood In Today's World, Hugh Parham Stanley.
68. The Family Blessing, Rolf Garborg.
69. Endangered Minds, Jane M. Healy, Phd.
70. Miseducation, David Elkind.
71. Perfect Parenting, Beverly Guhl.
72. What Do We Really Want For
Our Children?,Dr. Wayne W. Dyer.
73. A Parent's Guide To Children's Reading, Nancy Larrick.
74. Love For A Lifetime, Dr. James Dobson.
75. Helping Your Child Develop His Potentialities, Ruth Strang.
76. The Secret World of Kids, Art Linkletter.
77. You & Your Child, A Biblical Guide for Nurturing Confident Children from Infancy
to Independence, Charles Swindoll.
78. Parenting Adolescents, Kevin Huggins.
79. Christian Child Rearing & Personality Development,Paul Meier,M.D.
80. Advice To Parent of Young Children, Booklets for the growing family volume 1,2,&3 available through Focus on the Family 1-800-A FAMILY.
81. How to Develop Self-Esteem in your Child, A tape series by Syber Vision, Dr. Betty B. Youngs. 1-800-678-0887.
82. Whole Child, Whole Parent, Polly Berrien Berends.
83. Keeping Your Kids Christian, Marshall Shelley.
84. Guide To Growing A Healthy Home, Mike Yorkey.
85. Ten Mistakes Parents Make With Teenagers: And how to avoid them, Jay Kesler (508) 977-4500.
86. The Christian Parenting Library, Dr. Dobson, Dr. McEwan and Dr. C. Schimmels ( 508) 977-4500.
87. Christian Parenting & Child Care, Dr. William Sears (508)977-4500
88. Simple Ways To Tell Your Child "I Love You" Jan Dartez
89. The Better Life Institute Family Health Plan, Steven & Patricia Zifferblatt & Norm Fox. (508)977-4500.
90. Children At Risk, Dr. James Dobson & Gary Bauer (508)977-4500.
91. Things We Wish We Had Said, Tony & Bart Campolo (508)977-4500.
92. Building Your Child's Faith, Alice Chapin.
93. Parenting With Love & Logic, Foster Cline,M.D. & Jim Faye.
94. The Power of Positive Parenting, Dr. William Mitchell & Dr. Charles Paul Conn.
95. Growing Wise in Family Life, Charles R. Swindoll.
96. Parents And Children,Aguide to solving problems and building relationships, edited by Jay Kesler.