Prather Pediatric and Allergy Center - Ask Doctor Brent
Printer Friendly Version
Title: 10 Keys to Wise Parenting
- Be parents of faith and walk the walk daily to inspire your children. Share your faith with daily prayers and weekly church as a family. Proverbs 22:6: "Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it."
- Be a good model. Kids follow our example more than our words.
- Be affectionate. Don't let the sun go down without a loving hug and kiss and a sincere "I Love You" for each child.
- Discipline (disciple) your children and teach clear limits of right and wrong, morals, and ethics. Character starts with a well-formed conscience.
- Start and end each day with gentle, loving, supportive words of encouragement and praise.
- Accept each child's unique talents and mirror your pride in their individuality. Help them grow the seeds of God's graces in their life.
- Make time with your spouse and kids a top priority. If necessary, sacrifice financial gain for more time as a family.
- Control television and share as many meals together as possible. These are the best teaching times.
- Build unique family traditions on weekends, holidays, and vacations. Shared time is the glue that holds families together.
- Teach your kids by example, the secret to happiness ------ losing themselves in love and service to others.